Conner and I went to Hollywood Video the other day (I’ve become an OC addict, so I’m rabidly watching the first season on DVD right now), and there were a bunch of movies on sale for $2.50.
We bought the following (including my thoughts on the movies):
- This movie was a little dark, but it was good. Jude Law is good as always, and I think I’m becoming more and more of a Susan Sarandon fan.
- I ❤ Huckabees
- This movie was wacky! If you like the kind of movie that has lots of utterly random parts… you’ll like this one. I really enjoyed it.
- Vanity Fair
- I’m in the middle of watching this now. Throughout the movie, it had my attention, but I wasn’t sure where it was going. I think it had the potential to either be great or to be okay. Turned out it was just okay. I’d be interested in reading the book to see if that was any better. But, Reese Witherspoon can sing.
- The Bourne Supremacy
- We had watched this before, when it originally came out, but now that the third one is out, we wanted to re-watch the first two. I like this movie, my biggest problem with it is that these movies are nowhere near as good as the books, which are really stellar. The books are fantastic–actually, Robert Ludlum is brilliant, in my opinion. So, this is a good action film, but if you really want an intricate storyline, you have to go to the books.
- Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room
- We haven’t watched this documentary yet (even though I have to admit that I’m looking forward to it.) I’ve read the book, which I thought was fascinating. I think I want to read it again, actually, because there were a lot of details about what happened that I don’t think I fully absorbed.
- L4yer Cake
- I have no idea what this movie is about. Conner wanted to buy it because it was really cheap and by the same produce of Snatch and Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, both of which he thought were great. I wasn’t crazy about those movies–although Snatch was better the second time around, when I kind of knew what was going on.
- Coffee and Cigarettes
- Again, no idea what this is about. It’s got some good actors, though, so we’ll see.
- Haven’t seen this one either. I’m interested because I’m a Felicity Huffman fan.
- The Assassination of Richard Nixon
- This was Conner’s choice. He read a biography of Richard Nixon, and now he talks in a Richard Nixon voice whenever he comes up.
At Conner’s request, we also rented Hot Fuzz. We watched it, and I was surprised at how good it was. It was really funny, and funny in a real person kind of way (in parts). It was hilarious, and just fantastic. You should see it.
More movie reviews to come… we’ve been watching a bunch lately.